Do you know the signs of sleep apnea? Find out if it's time to visit a sleep doctor.
Answer "yes" or "no" to the following statements. Keep track of the totals for each!
1. I frequently awaken with a dry mouth.
2. My spouse complains that I snore often during sleep.
3. My snoring is so bad my bed-partner left years ago.
4. I often wake up feeling unrefreshed,like I barely got any sleep at all.
5. Sometimes on long drives I have to pull over and nap,so I don't fall asleep.
6. Sometimes I fight to stay awake at work;especially if it's boring.
7. I need more than 2 cups of coffee or tea to make it through the day.
8. I awaken frequently to use the bathroom more than once a night.
9. I have awakened from sleep gasping for breath more than once.
10. Sometimes I awaken from sleep with my heart pounding. I don't know why.
11. I have been told that I stop breathing during sleep.
12. On weekends I take naps and sleep in to make up for lost sleep during the week.
13. I don't have as much energy as I used to. I must be losing a step.
14. I often get heartburn when I sleep.
15. When I drink alcohol, people say that my snoring is horrible.
So, how did you score and what does it mean?
If you (or someone you know) answered "yes" to 4 or more of the above statements, or you feel that you or a loved one may suffer from a sleep disorder, click on the American Academy of Sleep Medicine to locate a sleep center near you and make an appointment as soon as possible. Sleep Apnea is considered to be life-threatening.
This sleep apnea test is not intended to substitute for a medical evaluation by your physician.